Jeyranbatan Water Purifying Facilities
Jeyranbatan Reservoir, feeding from Samur-Absheron canal and water treatment plants built on the coast of this compound comprise a considerable part of drinking water supply of Absheron Peninsula. The reservoir was built at the beginning of 1900s based on the design of an English engineer William Lindley. The project aimed to convey water from Samur River to Jeyranbatan Reservoir and deliver it to consumers after treatment. Approximately half a century after the design had been completed, implementation of the works started. Initial decision was to extend Samur-Devechi canal to Absheron. Concurrently a reservoir with total capacity of 186 million m3 was established in place of “Jeyranbatan” and “Deveyatagi” lakes and the filling of the basin began in 1957. One of the main advantages of reservoir is that the water retained here goes through 80% sedimentation process prior to treatment process.
Jeyranbatan Water Treatment Plants Compound and transmission mains were constructed in 3 phases following Orders No 655 dated November 21, 1957 and No 420 dated June 02, 1960 issued by Council of Ministers of the former Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic. The first phase of Jeyranbatan Water Treatment Plants Compound was commissioned on September 8, 1961. The second and third phases of the compound were commissioned in 1966 and 1978, respectively i.e. in the period when the national leader Heydar Aliyev governed Azerbaijan SSR. The capacities of the facilities built on the first and second phases was 2,64 m3/s each, whereas the one built in third phase was 2,1 m3/s, accordingly.
The water in Jeyranbatan Water Treatment Plants goes through two-step treatment process. Purifier and acceleration screens in the plants built on the first and second phases, whereas in the plant built on the third stage water is treated via horizontal sedimentation tank and acceleration screens treat water.
Water supplied nowadays to Sumgait, Absheron, Khazar and many parts of Sabunchu and Surakhani districts is treated in Jeyranbatan compound. 6 large-diameter water pipelines were laid from the Water Treatment Plants Compound. Two of them transport water to Mashtaga reservoir, three to Binagadi central pumping station and one to Sumgayit. At the same time, technical water is supplied from Jeyranbatan to industrial enterprises in Absheron. Therefore, two water pipelines with flow rate of 2,8 m3/s were laid to transport technical water from Jeyranbatan water treatment plants.
So far only once capital repair work was carried out in Water Treatment Plants Compound. Chemical treatment stations, purifiers and primarily filter compartments were completely rehabilitated under “Greater Baku Water Supply and Sanitation Services Project” financed by the World Bank (WB) and Europe Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). Under the terms of Loan Agreement, 2nd and 3rd shift filter compartments were partially reconstructed and chlorination building was established to serve each shift.